Monday, May 23, 2011

AE86 Tech #86-21: A Cheater's Roll center

As I continue my quest to finish the 7.5in project.  I came across a way to modify the roll center.  Usually there's the weld on pieces from manufacturers like Cusco.  If you race on a competitive basis, usually the sanctioning body rules disallow any changes to the suspension points of the vehicle.  But what if we skirt under the radar.



First off, after cutting off the mounting bracket, I notice the design of the bracket wasn't symmetrical like I previously thought.

Flipping the mounting of the bracket and placing it beside another bracket currently mounted on the axle, you can see the mounting point of the factory is higher.  A rough measurement between the 2 was roughly 20mm.  The store bought Cusco piece is 30mm.
 
Changing the mount point is not really an easy option, since using either adding the Cusco piece or remounting the stock one does require a welder.  

So the question is, should I stick with factory mounting point or change to the lower option.  But as the NASCAR guys say; "It ain't cheating unless you get caught".


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: