Monday, November 10, 2014

Faulty injectors

Fuel injectors, do they go bad?  Of course they do, but I don't see it happening very often. Usually spark plugs and/or parts of the ignition system would go out before an injector.  But I guess when these have been ticking for almost 25 years they just let themselves go.




The problems started happening before my trip to the philippines.  It had a slight miss when I first started it up in the morning, but would go away once it warmed up.  First thought was something in the ignition system was worn out and needing replacing. After changing parts here and there, still getting the same symptoms.  Tossed in a set of new spark plugs and ran it for a little bit.  Removed them to check the burn, only one showed as clean, unless it was running super lean.

This is where I came to the conclusion of faulty injectors.  First I looked around the back for some extras I had laying around.  But for some reason, there wasn't any to be seen.  Usually I have a couple of these in stock.  Oh well time to ask around.  Luckily, there are other 4AGE parts hoarders like me, I was able to get some injector.  Just my luck, another injector decided to take a crap too.  But since the trip philippines was right around the corner, it had to go into hibernation until I got back.

Upon returning from the super awesome adventure, I contemplated getting the injectors rebuilt since RC Engineering wasn't too far from me.  But decided to check the online parts store rockauto.com.  I found the price of a new one from rockauto was the same as getting rebuilt.  So ordered a new set of 4.

New vs old.  Looks just like the old ones but with fresh paint and a blue ring.  Even came with new o-rings and bushings. 

Once installed the gray goose ran and idled very smooth.  Something I hadn't felt in quite some time.  Throttle response was sharp, it was like driving a new car again.  But then again it's probably just a placebo effect.  No matter this should have been done a long time ago.

Now what to do with these defective bastards. But if you know me, you know the answer.

Throw them in the pile and save them for later.  Just in case these new aftermarket ones end up being defective, I can have the old ones rebuilt properly.


No comments: